Fedora 23 cloud image (and, for that matter, minimal anything) bloat

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 15:00:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-24 at 00:59 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> Bummer. The reason for libxkbcommon dependency is to be able to make
> sure that the new config is valid. Before that was added we had a set
> of rules and heuristics implemented in localed and regular bug reports
> when typos and other mistakes were not caught by localed but Xorg
> would not accept the new config. This is more important than might
> seem, 'cause people tend to get grumpy when a misconfigured keyboard
> mapping prevents them from typing in their password. So this dependency
> does bring useful functionality.

We can certainly make xkeyboard-config smaller. About half its on-disk
footprint is localized strings, %langpack would help. The geometry
subdir is completely useless, and I'm reasonably sure the xml it
installs is really just source data and not anything apps or libs use.
All told that'd get xkeyboard-config down to a hair over 2M on disk.

- ajax