Mounting a Samsung S5 phone for reading

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 24 21:35:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-24 at 14:07 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> > Some newer cellphones aren't actually capable of acting as USB mass
> > storage devices, they only support sync in a couple of other modes.
> > MTP
> > should work in Nautilus, but will not be visible in a terminal. Try
> > setting the phone to MTP mode, then looking for it in Nautilus'
> > sidebar.
> >
> I think almost all recent (Android) phones don't do mass storage now.
> My LG phone offers, MTP, PTP, and just charge.
>
> Make sure you have the necessary mtp packages installed:
> # rpm -qa | grep mtp
> gvfs-mtp-1.24.2-1.fc22.x86_64
> libmtp-1.1.9-1.fc22.x86_64
>
> Check the logs when you plug in the phone.  Watch for lines from
> "org.gtk.vfs.Daemon".
>
> If you see the following lines, your phone probably isn't set
> correctly:
> Sep 21 11:15:18 laptop mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 60:
> "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.2"
> Sep 21 11:15:18 laptop mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 60 was not an MTP
> device

The files in the rpm qa command appear correct.

In the Anaconda log I see the daemon starting, the daemon successfully
started.  I did not find org.gtk.vfs.Daemon in any other logs, using
grep.

In /run/user/ there are only two directories, 1000 (my own account) and
42 which is a restricted account, even to the admin.

Regards,
Les H