F23 broke dependencies

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 01:34:16 UTC 2015

>> > This is due to the fact that upstream puts both the application and library
>> > in the same source archive but they have different versions AND that no one
>> > reads the comments in the spec file which tells you to bump the library rev.
>> > I was waiting for the rebuilds to stop before fixing, I guess it's time.
>>
>> Why does the app care about the RPM revisions, surely that should be a
>> dep on the exact version of the library alone.
>
> Well, it's a standard Base Package Requires adhering to the packaging guidelines.

No it's not, the packaging guidelines are for a single src.rpm
package, where the NVR is bumped automatically across all sub packages
of the .src.rpm, this is two different src.rpm packages and hence it
doesn't apply as it is impossible to keep in sync. The Requires should
just be for the main version, not the revision here because the
upstream only cares about the actual upstream version for
compatibility not the RPM revision which in this case is irrelevant.

Peter