does gnome have two sound volume settings?

Florian Müllner fmuellner at gnome.org
Sun Sep 27 14:22:50 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 12:52 PM, kendell clark <coffeekingms at gmail.com> wrote:
> There seems to be two different sound volumes. I'll demonstrate.
> First, go into the sound settings panel in the control center. [...]
> I hear: output volume: slider 31454 31 percent.  If I check the same
> thing on the top bar under settings, I hear: volume slider 0.5 47 percent.

Both sliders control the same volume, however the one in gnome-shell
has a range from 0 to 100%, while the one in Settings allows to
amplify the volume to higher values (about 150%). As it happends, 31%
on a 0-150 range indeed matches 47% on a 0-100 range.

To indicate that difference, the slider in Settings has a visible
marker at 100%, but that obviously does not translate to screen
readers - IMHO the best option would be to modify the slider in
Settings to read out percentage values in the 0-150% range, however
I'm not sure whether that's actually possible with ATK. Another option
would be to modify the slider in gnome-shell to use the actual volume
values instead of mapping them to values between 0.0 and 1.0 - the
percentages would still differ due to the different upper limits, but
at least the values would match up in that case.