Re: kcm_systemd license change: GPLv3+ → GPLv2+

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 17:33:00 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 11:00 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for this completely useless junk mail, it is required by policy:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#License_Changes

Please, it's not "useless". Software licenses have been a source of
serious developer grief: a switch from GPLv3+ to GPLv2 isn't an
extensive one, but it also means that the code no longer has patent
protection.

> Starting from version 1.2.0, the license has changed to the MORE PERMISSIVE
> GPLv2+.

More permissive for privatized development, less protective for other
developers and to the community in terms of patents. That's been a big
issue in the USA software world, and is one of the key reasons for the
GPLv3. We saw what happened when Tivo and other hardware vendors tried
to proprietize their development of features added to free and open
source software, and patents have been a big issue in driver and other
software development.

> this license change cannot possibly affect anybody here. However, I am
> required to spam this mailing list with it because the policy requires it.

Please, it's not spam. it's just the sort of announcement a developer
or development group might want to know about, and it really helps
prevent license confusion. I've personally been bit a few times with
upstream licenses changed, and been relieved a few times as well when
previously awkward licenses were upgraded by their author to a more
workable and sustainable one.

Personally, thanks for making the announcement, even if you consider
it useless. Like wearing a seat belt when driving 100 feet from a
parking lot into a garage, it's just a safer  habit to always do it
consistently rather than doing it "only when it matters".