F22: Software for update

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 17:32:51 UTC 2015

On 29 September 2015 at 18:08, Eric Griffith <egriffith92 at gmail.com> wrote:
> That seems like a really bad idea..

The alternative is we have a "download" stage, which means we can't do
the blue "restart and update" action as it would download for a few
minutes, and then randomly reboot when you had just started doing
something else while you were waiting. The depsolve step is also
important; we only show updates that can actually be installed rather
than dnf which will install a subset of the true update list if there
are tree compose problems.

> There's also the fact that if
> the connection is metered then we just ripped through a chunk of their data.

We only do the auto-refresh on wired or wifi connections. If you chose
to do the manual refresh button on mobile data that's up to the user.

> Play Store don't download as part of a check, Windows Update
> doesn't, OS X Software Update doesn't, System Update for iOS and Android
> don't.

Right, and that's a valid point; but until we have some kind of
platform / application split like atomic/xdg-app it's just not
achievable to download and install the applications at runtime. I'm
trying to do the best with the bits we have at the moment, and when
we've got a better platform story we can do something better.

Richard.