F22: Software for update

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 29 20:20:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-29 at 21:53 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 12:21:28PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2015-09-29 at 14:38 -0400, Eric Griffith wrote:
> > > There's also the fact that if
> > > data.

> > > Is there a reliable way to detect that though? If I tether via my
> > > phone or
> > > turn my phone into a hotspot it comes up as Ethernet or WiFi,
> > > respectively.
> > > It seems like we are going to run into the same issue that
> > > Microsoft
> > > is
> > > where automatic downloads are giving people bill shock.
> >
> > AIUI, NetworkManager is working on more sophisticated detection of
> > tethering, but right now it doesn't have it. Tethered wifi will be
> > treated as an unmetered connection. I think NM does already treat
> > USB
> > tethering as metered.
>
>   It's already available in NM 1.0.6:
> https://blogs.gnome.org/lkundrak/2015/08/27/networkmanager-1-0-6-brin
> gs-metered-connections-api-and-more/

I don't see anything in that which says it detects wifi tethering.
'capture portal detection' is something else, and exposing whether a
connection is metered or not through the API is nice, but doesn't mean
the information it exposes is actually *correct* or has changed in any
way.

I'm not saying it's *not* in 1.0.6, just that that text doesn't seem to
say it is. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey