F22: Software for update

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 29 20:33:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-29 at 22:26 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

> I don't see anything in that which says it detects wifi tethering.
> > 'capture portal detection' is something else, and exposing whether
> > connection is metered or not through the API is nice, but doesn't
> > mean
> > the information it exposes is actually *correct* or has changed in
> > any
> > way.
> >
> > I'm not saying it's *not* in 1.0.6, just that that text doesn't
> > seem to
> > say it is. :)
>
>  Ekhm, let me cite a bullet point straight from this post:
> #v+
> – We now expose information on whether a particular connection is
> metered. It’s
> intended for tools like package managers that like pre-fetch large
> amount of
> data to be able to avoid increasing your Mobile connectivity bills.
> #v-
>
>  It's pretty clear, isn't it?  It's not hard technically, DHCP client
> have to watch for ANDROID_METERED in option 43 and pass thath
> information
> further up the stack.

It's clear, yes, it just doesn't mean what you think it means. It's the
addition of a public interface to NM's internal concept of 'metered',
which has been around for some time. It does *not* necessarily mean
that NM detects tethering and marks tethered connections as 'metered'.
I know it didn't used to do that, and that there's been some kind of
plan to add it; I don't know if it's actually been added yet, and if
so, if it's in 1.0.6, and that text does not state either way.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey