F22: Software for update

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 04:57:38 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 00:40:24 -0400, Eric Griffith wrote:
> But that's just happening, there's no user interaction. The user isnt
> waiting on it. Software, on the other hand, is being asked "Hey can you
> check for updates?" And then not displaying the feedback the user was
> expecting until its checked, and downloaded anywhere between 1kb and 2gb of
> data (my largest post install update). That could be relatively quick, or a
> really long time depending on the amount being downloaded and user's
> bandwidth. The entire time the user is sitting there twiddling their thumbs
> because they don't know what's actually happening and end up just writing
> off Software as being slow.

Sorry, wasn't implying it to be an excuse for Gnome Software's behavior.

Anyways, don't we have these fancy notifications now? Don't they
support buttons to say "Update ready for installation! Restart / Wait,
I'm busy"? Do we have progress-bar notifications yet?

> Plus, as someone above pointed out, even non-cellular ISPs sometimes have
> metering. Microsoft's under fire for burning through metered connections
> due to automatic updates / upgrades, Apple is under fire for the same thing
> because of opt-out WiFi Assist in the new iOS, how about we -not- join that
> club?

Yeah. I tether a NAT'd network. Don't know how anything would detect
that as "metered" outside of me telling it so.

--Ben