Documentation project status

Jan Fabry fedora at scoco.be
Mon Dec 29 19:36:25 UTC 2003

Edward C. Bailey wrote:

> It was at this time that those of us involved in producing Red Hat's
> documentation looked at the the Linux Documentation Project as the most
> viable approach for the documentation aspect of the Fedora Project.  We
> felt that it would be more likely for interested people to write shorter
> tutorial-style documents than it would be for them to create large,
> monolithic manuals.  We felt that the "infrastructure" (style guides,
> editorial support, etc) would be lower for the smaller, separate documents.
> As the documentation project grew, it could be extended to include
> full-blown manuals, but our thinking was to start small.
>
> Perhaps we've underestimated the kinds of documentation-related projects
> people would like to take on -- certainly the content produced by the
> Debian project is a good counter-example of what a dedicated group of
> individuals can accomplish (though I'll note that the Debian project has
> been around a while, and comparing a brand-new Fedora Project to a
> firmly-established Debian Project is not entirely fair)...

> It seems that the best way to end this email is to pose a question:
>
>                          Where do we go from here?

I think Fedora needs good installation and configuration manuals.
Without these, it will never be possible to get a good user base (unless
a majority of current Red Hat Linux users switch to Fedora). The
'tutorial-idea' is good, the Linux Documentation Project is good, but we
cannot count on those two alone to provide enough information about the
whole Fedora distribution.

Whatever we do, we *must* have a good installation and configuration
manual. So let's start writing now ;)

Greetings,

Jan Fabry