New ENTITY declarations?

Dave Pawson dpawson at nildram.co.uk
Sun Nov 30 10:04:06 UTC 2003

At 08:06 29/11/2003, Karsten Wade wrote:

>We use a common set available to all document writers, following the
>format of fedora-entities.sgml.  The contents of that file would be
>pulled into the parent XML like:
>
><!-- ****** Bring in Fedora Project standard entities ***** -->
><!ENTITY % FEDORA-ENTITIES SYSTEM
>"../fedora-common-xml/fedora-entities.xml">
>%FEDORA-ENTITIES;

Which is fine if the structure on an authors machine reflects
that on the fedora build.
1. Is that the intention.
2. Is that structure documented?

(That's why I suggested the use of a uri on the redhat site,
and a local catalog entry to map that to the local instance for
local use)

>I'm not 100% certain that my syntax is accurate for the XML DTD; it
>works for SGML.

Which is fedora working in?
  I've assumed XML. Is there much SGML legacy?

>  Let us know if there any differences.  Following is an
>example scheme based on what we are using at Red Hat.
>
>The target file in the common directory is called via a relative path,
>i.e. it's always in an expected location of off the Fedora docs cvsroot,
>../fedora-common-xml/fedora-entities.xml.

Are all authors expected to work with that relative path?

>This means fedora-common-xml/ is a module in CVS that you need to
>check-out in order to build your docs (if you call anything from there,
>of course), and which makes it easy to distribute changes globally, i.e.
>if Fedora Core becomes F3d0ra C0r3, then we only need to 'cd
>fedora-common-xml/ && cvs up'. ;)

No problems with that... so long as all understand it..
and its documented :-)
<snip/>

>hth - Karsten

Very much so Karsten.
  Very clear.
.... Is this to be marked up and added to the documentation howto :-)

regards DaveP