more defined process

Tammy Fox tfox at redhat.com
Sat Aug 14 15:25:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 20:42, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Tammy Fox wrote:

> >>Most of the good stuff has been in the last month or so. :)

> >>This is a good idea, a gap that needs filling.  Mark Johnson is also
> >>starting work on something with a name like Quick Start Guide, but it
> >>has a different scope.  The purpose is to get people who know the tools
> >>involved a way to get quickly started, a sort of distillation of the Doc
> >>Guide.
> >>
> >>Just bringing that up because the titles are similar, but the purposes
> >>are not, and there is room for both.  Just not with the same title. :)
> >>

> > Mark, if you are on this list, can you add a Bugzilla entry for it and
> > link it to the tracker for docs in progress? That way, no one else will
> > start working on the same thing.
>
> That's a can-do, Tammy. Gimme a day or two, as I'm still learning
> the gudzilla system:)
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
> --

I've been giving this some more thought this morning, and the more I
think about having another guide that contains the same information, the
more it reminds me of a project I worked on before as a contract writer
using MS Word. I basically had to maintain the same set of manuals but
for 2 different arches in 2 sets of files. One of the benefits of
DocBook is that you can use conditionals to create multiple documents
from the same source (like I was saying with the Installation Guides for
multiple arches in a different thread). So, instead of creating a
separate guide with some of the same information, I think we should use
conditions in the existing source for the Docs Guide and create this
Quick Start Guide instead, if it is determined that we need another one.
This will make sure the 2 do not get out of sync, which can happen very
quickly.

Mark, since this is your idea, please share some more details about what
you have in mind. How is it different from the existing guide? What
problem does it solve?

Karsten mentions that the purpose is to "get people who know the tools
involved a way to get quickly started." However, I would just like to
point out that even if you have used DocBook before, things like tag
usage can be interpreted in different ways, so you still need to read
the guide to make sure you are following the same rules as everyone else
writing Fedora docs. I honestly don't think it is that long or verbose.

Thanks,
Tammy