more defined process

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Sun Aug 15 19:21:39 UTC 2004

Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 00:38, Mark Johnson wrote:
>
> Mark, I'd be more supportive of attribute based selection,
> rather than conditional sections? Then filter based on stylesheet
> parameters as Tammy suggested?

Yep, me too. Putting true conditional sections in a DTD
customization layer would be a major PITA, and would require us to
change the DocBook FPI.

Time to move to the XML method of attribute-based content selection.
And, yes, the stylesheets are where all the filtering occurs.

> Especially since the current DTD may well be the last for docbook?

Yes, but the proposed RELAX-NG design would allow one to easily
generate DTDs (even customized ones) from the customized RELAX-NG
schema. One difficulty there, though, is that the generated DTD will
not be customizable, i.e. it won't contain any paramter entities.

> A move to relax NG would make any development work here redundant?

Not sure I understand your question, Dave, but I suspect the answer
is yes:)

Cheers,
Mark
Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
Red Hat Documentation Group      <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242