Appropriate tags for service names and syslog facilties?

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Thu Feb 12 13:05:54 UTC 2004

I think you're looking for <command>. Since there's nothing more
appropriate, that's currently used not just for non-GUI apps, but also
configuration file options and daemons like services. I would expect for
now that you should use it for syslog facilities as well. If anyone
wants to differ, please feel free.

I do notice that a DocBook RFE at:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=564776&group_id=21935&atid=384107
suggests that the more proper way to do this is

<application class="daemon">syslogd</application>
<application class="service">syslog</application>
<application class="service">kern.*</application>

That was the end of 2002, but a *really* quick check of the DocBook book
doesn't reveal anything more appropriate.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE