Volunteer / Would like to participate

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Tue Jun 8 21:32:16 UTC 2004

Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Mark Johnson <mjohnson at redhat.com>, spake thus:
>

>>I could volunteer as a "Helper" who assists people in getting a working
>>docbook authoring setup.
>

> Could you start this by correcting the fedora-docs/example-tutorial?
> The current CVS content gives a very poor PDF rendering,

This is a processing/stylesheet issue, rather than an authoring
environment problem.

I haven't even checked: is the pdf output generated from XSL or DSSSL
stylesheets. If XSL, the fo -> pdf engine is likely passivetex or FOP. I
dunno. Unfortunately, this toolchain is known to have some major
deficiencies.

I wish I had the time to work on the toolchain (esp the stylesheets),
but I simply don't have the time now. Maybe in a few months. FWIW, I
really enjoy working on the toolchain stuff, but I'm already overloaded.

OTOH, I can get someone set up w/ Emacs & DocBook relatively quickly, as
I've done it many times.

Sorry I can't help w/ the pdf stuff right now.

> I'd perfer to see "example-tutorial" contain the actual template that
> will be used for Fedora docs.  Provide us with the boilerplate and we
> then DOCBOOK by example.

I'll take a look at the "example-tutorial" and see if I can meaningfully
contribute to a template.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
Red Hat Documentation Group      <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242