Fwd: [K12OSN] Samba/LDAP how-to in OO format

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at magicfx.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 19:42:38 UTC 2004

This has come from the K12OSN project and I have it now on:

http://FedoraNEWS.ORG/ghenry/ldap

It's waiting for me to finish tagging/cleaning it.

Would someone like to Docbook it up for the docs project? I have permission to
do what ever to it.

I am also on the LDAP team for tldp.org but not really done much about it, but
this is a very good one to go into it.

I have these points which I sent to him:

1. The backend ldap should be bdb not ldbm (discussed very in depth on the
OpenLDAP lists).

2. You should really have access controls on the LDAP database, as anyone can
then read your hashed password over the wire, unless, which I didn't notice,
you only have the LDAP server listening on localhost?

3. You should be using TLS.

4. Could you do a wee conclusion, rounding everything off.

P.S. I just found this one on his site:

http://www.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/LDAP/The_SAMBA-LDAP_How-to.html

I don't know which is newer, but this one seems more complete.

I'll check.

Gavin.

I think this comes from:

http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-howto.en.html