Fwd: [K12OSN] Samba/LDAP how-to in OO format

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at magicfx.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 09:15:37 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 16 Jun 2004 20:48, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I'll be happy to do it. If you don't mind, find out if he wants to make
> your changes first.

">I hope the community does remedy all those points to give this very
>useful document a more robust treatment of security, and make FC2 a
>little less complex to implement samba/ldap on.

Definitely...I'm by no means an expert...I'm driven by a need to tie my
Windoze and LTSP users together...hence Samba/LDAP....please...pitch
in...feel free to rewrite the doc and please let me know if you do so I
can try it  :-)"

Go ahead Paul, thanks.

> On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 15:42, Gavin Henry wrote:
> >
> > This has come from the K12OSN project and I have it now on:
> >
> > http://FedoraNEWS.ORG/ghenry/ldap
> >
> > It's waiting for me to finish tagging/cleaning it.
> >
> > Would someone like to Docbook it up for the docs project? I have
> > permission to do what ever to it.
> >
> > I am also on the LDAP team for tldp.org but not really done much about
> > it, but this is a very good one to go into it.
> >
> > I have these points which I sent to him:
> >
> > 1. The backend ldap should be bdb not ldbm (discussed very in depth on
> > the OpenLDAP lists).
> >
> > 2. You should really have access controls on the LDAP database, as anyone
> > can then read your hashed password over the wire, unless, which I didn't
> > notice, you only have the LDAP server listening on localhost?
> >
> > 3. You should be using TLS.
> >
> > 4. Could you do a wee conclusion, rounding everything off.
> >

> > P.S. I just found this one on his site:
> >
> > http://www.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/LDAP/The_SAMBA-LDAP_How-to.html
> >
> > I don't know which is newer, but this one seems more complete.
> >
> > I'll check.
> >
> > Gavin.
> >
> > I think this comes from:
> >
> > http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-howto.en.html