New Volunteer

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 18:39:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 09:36, Dave Pawson wrote:

> >I have set Cygwin up on the WinBox at work and am finishing install of
> >OpenJade on my own Server. Are there templates that I can grab from
> >outside the CVS for the DTD and DocBook for the WinBox? I have
> >DocBook-xsl-1.60.1 on it now.
> >

>   (or you could use Fedora... and still not need cygwin :-)

It sounds as if you are trying to get part or all of the DocBook
toolchain running under Windows.  While I won't say this is futile, it
will definitely exercise the edges of your sanity.

Instead, have you considered connecting from your Windows OS via PuTTY
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) to a Fedora Core
server with the Authoring and Publishing package group installed (i.e.,
docbook-*, tetex, xmlto, etc.)?  You can edit using 'emacs -nw', build
on the FC server, and publish the pages with Apache to view with your
browser under Windows.

Even the Fedora Core 2 install I have running on a P-200 MMX with 64 MB
RAM will build our documents in reasonable time. :)

hth - Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
this .signature subject to random changes