Elements of Style and the documentation-guide

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Thu Jun 24 19:30:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 15:14, DaveP wrote:
> >Why not point people to the original classic elsewhere on the web too?
> >
> >http://www.bartleby.com/141/

> Not heard of it.
> Unusual though, the guy died in 46, first published in 95, then again in 99.
>
> What happened?
> .... and what makes it a 'classic' of <10 years?
>
> I'm missing something.

The original 1918 version is the one that exists in the public domain.
Over the years it has been revised three times, including in 1959 by
Strunk student E. B. White (author of "Charlotte's Web," "Stuart
Little," and "The Trumpet of the Swan"). Other editions include 1972,
1979, and 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

This was a required text for my high school English class, and I recall
clearly seeing English Composition 101 students carrying it around
during my college days.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE