Installation types

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Fri Oct 1 12:59:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 07:47, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> Just to see if anyone can shed some light on this...
>
> I'm looking at the Installation Types section of the Guide, and both the
> installation system and the documentation for RH9 imply that the
> Installation Type determines the default partition layout.  At the
> moment every type has the same default partition layout (100Mb /boot
> partition, swap of 2x RAM, the rest in /), so the Installation Type only
> controls the default package group selections.  Is the concept of
> varying the partition layout by Type something that is expected to occur
> in future versions, or are references to it traces of an idea that died
> at some point ?

Stuart, I'm not sure what the future of that particular issue is, but I
remember a time in the Red Hat Linux days when the partition layout
*did* change depending on the installation type, and I assume it could
conceivably be that way in the future. This may be a subject you should
direct to the anaconda-devel list, to get input from the developers
themselves. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE