Formatting Question

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Thu Oct 14 14:38:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 09:26, Chris Stankaitis wrote:
[...snip...]
> When I browse to the document locally using Mozilla everything looks
> great, to be complete I tar'ed the dir up and sent it over to our
> webserver.  When I browse to the document on the webserver it seems to
> add additional formatting which is causing my document to display a
> bunch of question marks all over the place, and little black boxes.
> Even viewing the source you can see the problem.
>
> Source viewed when document loaded locally:
>
> <title>Chapter 4. Adding Users
>
> Source viewed when document viewd over apache server:
>
> <title>Chapter�4.�Adding
> align="right">�<a accesskey="n" href="ch05.html">

What does the "Page Info" tell you about the document? For instance,
when I browse a local file it is seen as ISO-8859-1 encoding, text/html
MIME type. Is that what you see from the Apache-served file? If not, the
httpd.conf file might be the place to start. The version of Apache you
are running might be an issue.

I am out on a limb here since I don't run Web servers for a living. But,
if in looking at the actual source of the file (I mean at a shell, using
od or xxd, rather than post-Mozilla), you see that the file clearly
contains spaces (0x20 ASCII), and not some other wackiness, the server
is obviously to blame. (Well, it *seems* obvious to me, but someone more
informed may have a different, and probably better, take on this.)

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE