Installation Guide v 0.2

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Wed Oct 27 23:59:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:25:41 -0700 (PDT), "Rahul Sundaram"
<rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in> said:

> You should probably add the instructions to download
> and burn a ISO or link to appropriate
> documentation.Many users are unsure of which ISO's are
> needed.

I'll write in a clarification of exactly which discs are needed to carry
out an installation.  I'm not sure that people will look at the
Installation Guide until after they have the distribution, so
step-by-step instructions might be better as a separate document that
download sites can link to.

> " Fedora Core does not support installation with
> diskettes."
>
> I suppose you mean floppy disks here. Make sure the
> language is more explicit throughout the guide

Yes.  "Discs" for CD and DVD, "diskettes" for floppy disks, because
"discs" and "disks" would be bad.  I think that I got this from GNOME.
"CD 1" for the first disc in the set, from Red Hat docs.  In 0.3 the
term "discs" is now used consistently, and the phrase "the first disc"
suggested by Paul is used instead of "CD 1".

> Non native speakers would probably appreciate a more
> basic form. replace commences with starts and elements
> with parts of something similar. This applies for the
> whole documentation

This is a very good point.  I've amended these to say "starts" and
"components", and will go through the text to try to remove any words
that may not translate well.  This is hard for me to judge as a native
English speaker, so please let me know if you see any more problems like
this in later versions.

> SELinux is likely to be transparent to the end users
> but administrators who are new to the concept would
> certainly want to learn better about it and it is NOT
> transparent to them in all occasions.

I agree.  My concern is that putting links in the main text may
overemphasise their importance, and give the impression that the user
must go away and read these docs before they can carry out an
installation.  So I'm going to draft some kind of "Further Reading"
section to see what could be done, but I haven't worked out the details
yet.  It may work better in another format than the Installation Guide.

> "You can also launch the system administration tools
> included in Fedora Core from any user account using
> the root password."

I've revised the text of the section - hopefully the new version is
better.

> Make sure you mention that the configuration stuff
> that is setup using the "setup agent" is OPTIONAL.
> This is one of the reasons why firstboot has been
> split up from anaconda

I used the phrase "enables you to configure" because you are right that
the user can just click "Next" and do nothing else.  I don't think that
they can avoid going through these screens if they selected a graphical
system.

> I request you put up screenshots wherever applicable
> atleast temporarily. It would help me associate the
> content with the appropriate screens better.(just for
> review purposes)

Unfortunately, it would probably take me as long to prepare a complete
set of bad screenshots as for somebody else with more experience to make
the good set.
--
Stuart Ellis
s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk