Emacs error

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Sep 6 15:52:55 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 03:37, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 00:34, tuxxer wrote:
> > Whenever I run `C-c C-p` to parse the DTD, I get "External entity
> > CHAPTER not found".  Can any one explain why?  And perhaps suggest a
> > fix?
>

> Yes, either as Karsten says,
> or the emacs way;

Please don't do as Dave says, unless he can truly fix this problem.

If you use a Local Variable instead of a .ced file, the indenting is off
by two; the core element for the file is indented flush left.  When
using a .ced file, the indenting for the <chapter> or <section> starts
two from the left-flush.

I assume Dave would then run the file through an XSLT before doing XML
diffs[1].  That seems like a lot of steps to me.

If you use a Local Variable, and the rest of the project is using .ced
files, then doing a diff on your file with an editor is going to be
impossible.

I've run these experiments numerous times, but if someone can point out
the error in my method to let us use Local Variable, I am more than
happy to use this easier method.  Otherwise, we must stick with the
project practice or change the practice across all documents for
editorial consistency.

- Karsten

[1]  BTW, I've always only ever been talking about XML diffs, *not*
diffs of the rendered file.

--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise