documentation process

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in
Tue Sep 7 10:44:38 UTC 2004

> Another benefit to having a tighter author/editor
> connection is that the
> documents can be honed to nearly perfect accuracy
> for Fedora.  TLDP are
> working in a more generic realm; it's difficult for
> them to ensure total
> technical accuracy, and documents need to be written
> to cover multiple
> distros.  Their documents are generally very useful,
> but not often
> specifically useful to each person's unique case.

I am not sure this will remain true over time. Fedora
is a fast moving distro and things change over time.
what might be true in fc1 might be entirely irrelevant
to fc5 or something like that. how are we planning to
deal with this. would these documents be made version
specific?

> New experiment in putting my lengthy asides ...
> well, aside:
>
> [1] Yes, I know we'll have abandoned documents;
> we'll deal with that,
> that's inevitable.

Yes. you probably need to add some kind of process to
deal with unmaintained docs.

> [2] For those who don't know this one, writers in
> the earlier part of
> the twentieth century would sometimes throw their
> completed manuscript
> into the open transom over a locked door, hoping
> that when a
> publisher/editor (literally) stumbled over it the
> next morning, it might
> be a step closer to being published.  The difference
> between a
> publishing house that will print anything that comes
> in "over the
> transom" and one that only prints work properly
> submitted and approved
> is what I am alluding to in this metaphor.
>
> --

very interesting but you should probably choose
metaphors that make sense without a lengthy
explanation. :-)

regards
Rahul Sundaram