Request for review - update/software management tutorial (updated links)

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Sun Apr 3 20:55:23 UTC 2005

Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:

> > It's really a workaround for the fact that sudo isn't configured by
> > default. I didn't think that I could safely use sudo in the example
> > commands, since even if the Hardening Guide was up and could be linked
> > to, there's no guarantee that the user/admin would have successfully
> > gone through the setup beforehand.
>
> I like the idea of using sudo as well, but Stuart's obviously right in
> the more global sense of not making assumptions when you're writing a
> doc.  But... do I sense the need for a sudo-tutorial? :-)

Ahem.  Since the postulated reader has the root password anyway (or
"su -c" ain't gonna work anyway) then why not a single paragraph
about adding an entry to "/etc/sudoers"?  That done, all that
off-putting, error-prone "su -c 'quote this junk'" disappears.

You may want to add an admonition to clean up after ones self...

Cheers

(I withdraw my previous mea culpa about 1952.)