review of hardening guide

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:31:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 00:55 -0700, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Rahul, from what source are you deriving this?
>
> seems to be possible in kickstart
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-redhat-config-kickstart-firewall.html
>
> but not during installation or using the firewall
> configuration utility

Check out /usr/share/system-config-kickstart/firewall.py for the scoop
on this. Ranges will work in s-c-kickstart because the Python script
takes the user's entry as a verbatim string and just passes it into the
configuration file.  That's probably a moot point, since the page in
Charles' tutorial originally under discussion concerned only system-
config-securitylevel, which doesn't work the same way.  Interesting
stuff!  (And it makes me want to get more into Python, which I keep
meaning to do, if only I could get the spare time.)

Charles, I guess you're off the hook for that one, but you may want to
check the Rawhide version or wait for FC4 to see if there's a change.