Brutally Honest Self Introduction: Philip Johnson

Philip Johnson plasticmonkey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 23:00:59 UTC 2005

Full legal name:
	Philip (Matthew) Johnson

City, Country:
	Manchester, United Kingdom

Profession or Student status:
	To be honest, I don't have any sound qualifications as I've never
really needed any - I'm a freelance new media designer and developer
who tends to use LAMP across the board. In case anyones interested,
I've worked for big household names in the UK such as House of Fraser
(training presentations and other internal bits 'n' bobs) right down to
teensy weeny folk bands such as The Oldham Tinkers (NB: I did /not/
design The Oldham Tinkers website in case anyone goes searching for it
: o ) - Me no like myPHPNuke nor the design the website uses; I was
employed a couple of times to fix things server and database side).

	I've also done a fair amount of Mac administration and Linux
administration (the latter more, a lot of the time it comes as part of
deploying and maintaining sites). The designing and developing I've
been doing for about 7 or 8 years now.

Company or School
	I'm not going to be doing any of this Fedora Project work for either,
but in case thats not what you meant, as I said before I'm a freelance
new media designer and developer.

Your goals in the Fedora Project:
	(in order of priority)
		* The Hardware Compatibility Database (HCL), along with Doncho Gunchev
		* Help out with other documentation (release notes etc.)
		* Spread-the-word
		* Help out new users when (and if!) I have the time

Historical qualifications:
	What other projects have you worked on in the past?

I'm still quite new when it comes to contributing to oss, as I haven't
had the time in the past, but heres my extremely short list :)

		* Mozilla.org Bug Hunting & Triaging
		* Contributing (a little bit!) to the GNOME mailing list and the
discussions that go on there
		* ^ Same again but for the various Fedora mailing lists
		* This isn't open source, but I developed applications in flash for
the Pogo PDA/Phone which is now unfortunately no longer available
(except on ebay! - and then the 		internet doesn't work)
		* I've also contributed miniscule amounts of things in various other
projects

	What computer languages and other skills do you know?

		* I'm attempting to learn python properly (i.e - at the moment my
python knowledge is ****)
		* Of course, HTML, PHP, Flash Actionscript etc. as goes with my job
		* A bit of XML, I would have included this in the second bullet point
but tbh my knowledge of XML isn't that great
		* Other skills: bits 'n' bobs here there and everywhere, I've dabbled
in practically everything (well thats a slight exaggeration, but seen
as you lot probably share the same 		passion for computers as I do I'm
sure you know what I mean :-D)

	Why should we trust you?

		* You shouldn't ;-) Like I said before I'm fairly new to contributing
(I've just observed and posted ideas, nothing else) so you're going to
have to give me a trial run and I'll 		have to bear in mind that you
only get once chance at a first impression :-D. Also, you'll find that
(well I hope so anyway) I'm generally a very friendly and considerate
bloke 		;).

Hope I've covered everything,
Regards,
----