Competition and Integration

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 14:48:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 09:10 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> How does http://ubuntuguide.org/ stack up against our fedorafaq.org?
>
> I think ours is better.

I do too. :-)

> Are we planning to freeze a version of fedorafaq.org and make an official
> one, for every release?
>
> I would like that and be happy to be part of the conversion.

I don't see how this could be part of an official FDP release.  For one
thing, it contains material that runs contrary to the letter and spirit
of the Fedora mission (100% free software).  It also contains material
that may put users on shaky legal ground in certain countries.
Certainly it could have consequences for the Fedora Project, if it
sponsored or distributed that material as an official document.

I seem to remember this, or a very similar, topic from last year, before
FC2 was released, but I'm not sure where that ended up.  I did a search
on the archives and didn't find the conversation thread I remember.
What I did find was a thread where a couple people agreed to pull in
information from other FAQs to raise the signal-to-noise ratio on
#fedora, but unfortunately, I don't think they actually completed any of
this work.  Maybe someone else will have better luck either with a
search or with their own memory bank.

So in short, freezing fedorafaq.org in toto may not work, but there are
certainly alternatives for anyone who wishes to wrangle such a beast.