Competition and Integration

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 14:17:39 UTC 2005

> Colin Charles wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 09:10 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> >

> >>How does http://ubuntuguide.org/ stack up against our fedorafaq.org?
> >>

> >Its not ours
> >

> Thats the key point here. I am not sure what we can do about it.
> Obviously we cant link to the FAQ and call it official for legal reasons
> but we can maybe pick the legally and idealogically safe questions and
> put in fedora.redhat.com/docs but that wouldnt serve as the canonical
> resource that it should be.  The other choice would be to totally ignore
> it and let it continue as it is. any other ideas?

Everyone seems to be correct as to why this FAQ is "officially
unofficial."

IANAL, TINLA.  (I like how those sound when spoken)

*If* the content in fedorafaq.org is freely licensed (FDL or CC without
or appropriate restrictions), and

*If* someone wants to cherry-pick the best (safest) answers to carry
over into a sanctioned FAQ,

*Then* we would have to attribute within the derived FAQ where it came
from.

I think that might be OK.  We could even work with the fedorafaq.org
maintainer to make it easier to do this.  We just can't link to their
FAQ with problematic content, or include that content within ours.

If there is interest in this, I will talk with Red Hat legal to get
their go-ahead/caveats.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide