getting started (false start 1 of ?)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:20:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 10:49 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:
>
> > I looked at both jEdit and Conglomerate this morning for the first time.
> > Initial impressions are that both are very full featured.  IMHO
> > Conglomerate has the edge for a few reasons:
>
> I retried conglomerate again this morning, too.  It crashed on the very
> first file I tried to open.  Not ready for prime time, IMHO.

I had only tried creating a few files, which seemed to work fine for the
limited amount of time I ran it.  I tried opening a few existing FDP
docs, in particular the Documentation Guide, and got some very strange
results.  I don't know if the differing DTD was the cause, but I kind of
doubt it.  Eventually, yes, it crashed for me too. :-)

But that doesn't change the gist of what I was saying, which is that
simply telling a newbie to choose a different editor may not be the
right answer.  That still requires them to learn DocBook anyway, which
takes much longer than learning the four or five Emacs keybindings that
are the most useful for XML editing.  Plus, if you require them to have
Java/gcj, for instance, you've just *drastically* increased the workload
on that person just to get set up to write, especially if they are not
writing on a FC4 system, for example.  Many people will use an older
system for personal use.

I think that, given its interface and program design, Conglomerate is
going to end up -- at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later --
being the right tool for this job.  But again, whatever tool experienced
persons want to use, more power to them.  It's all about getting the
work done.