why o why [off topic]

gaurav gauravp at hclcomnet.co.in
Thu Apr 21 11:58:11 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Hi
>

>> Red Hat clearly possesses exclusive legal rights to Red Hat
>> Enterprise Linux, namely the exclusive legal right to distribute RHEL
>> in binary form, and most importantly, the accompanying exclusive
>> legal right to pass along the ISV certifications associated with the
>> RHEL binary distribution. Red Hat uses a legal vehicle, a cleverly
>> crafted license it calls a subscription agreement, to enable it to
>> possess these exclusive legal rights in a product that can continue
>> to be marketed as open source.
>

> Quoting Ian from Progeny doesnt mean anything here.  Trademark
> guidelines are established for many other open source projects
> including Mozilla and Apache.  Red Hat merely asks you not to
> distribute any products under its name.

yes it does mean lot of things and pl dont confuse Mozilla or apache
license as thats lots original work and you dont have to pay to get
patches on time and ISV certification  ......as  with redhat's

>> I an NOT  talking about shipping some propreitry software .....I am
>> referring to supporting ...so please dont mis quote me or be more off
>> topic  !!
>

> I am talking about documenting proprietary software as part of a
> project which supports open source software exclusively. I havent
> misquoted you at all and whether proprietary software should be
> documented as part of the Fedora docs project is not a off topic
> discussion.

As far I rememeber orginal discussion was about  alternative to current
documenation system  specially referring to  to submission process

>> "The goal of The Fedora Project
>> <http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/terminology.html> is to work
>> with the Linux community to build a *complete, general purpose*
>> operating system"
>>
>> "Complete" which means fedora can be used in any enviorment that
>> includes data center or enterprises... many people  companies
>> specially ISP run  on  fedora in their data center ....
>

>  You missed out the part about being "exclusively free software"
>

> http://fedora.redhat.com/about/
>
> " The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community
> to build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from
> open source software."
>
> "I guess redhat  does not treats fedora as lab rat for upcoming rhel
> solely "
>
> straw man argument since RHEL documentation doesnt cover proprietary
> software either

 check this
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/oracle-guide/s1-ora-nodes.html

ps : When did  you join Redhat ? Congratulations :-)