getting started (false start 1 of ?)

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Thu Apr 21 20:51:28 UTC 2005

Uttered Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com>, spake thus:

> Anyone tried compiling this with GCJ. If that works it can pushed into
> Fedora Extras.  The Free Java stack seems to be maturing now

I had a few moments to spare, so I tried compiling jEdit from CVS
using GCJ (using the javac wrapper controlled by "alternatives
--config javac").

The editor itself built fine and seems to run.  Many, many of the
customizing plugins did _not_ build, the XML plugin being one that
failed -- thus the tag completion and suggestion features are
missing.

I lack the expertise and interest to proceed further.

Cheers