All formats

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 12:22:16 UTC 2005

> > I was also wondering about possibility of  including vedio tutorials
> > (for example configuring a printer) for non technical desktop users
> > using open source screen capturing program or wink
> > (http://www.debugmode.com/wink/zxz).....I guess desktop users like my
> > Dad might appreciate this :-) and be more self reliant
>
> If the output is in an open source format like Ogg Theora that might
> very well be a good idea. Basically we should ensure that the things we
> document and deal with does not require programs external to the Fedora
> Project ( Core or Extras) to be useful

I think this definitely falls under the FDP purview, but it's a long
range project.  We need to get enough written documentation done to make
this resource allocation reasonable.  I'd be interested to know what
toolchain the new Red Hat media developer uses.  You can find a very
interesting article about him in the newest Red Hat Magazine, which is
edited by our very own (so to speak) Tammy Fox.

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/006apr05/departments/red_hat_speaks/

I'm betting he uses Macintosh.  This type of work -- video/audio editing
is the only reason I have any Windows systems in my house anymore.  The
tools for Linux are simply not able to provide me as much productivity
yet.  I suspect that will not be the case in 2-3 years.

In any case, I've worked on these training videos before at my job, and
they are higher in complexity by *several* orders of magnitude over
what's required for written documentation.  Script-writing, lighting,
directing, camera work, sound recording, editing, mixing, scoring...
this is why media houses exist!  :-)