Comments on Documentation Idea

Thomas Jones admin at buddhalinux.com
Wed Apr 27 23:09:31 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I have been reviewing the progress of the Fedora project for over a year
now. Honestly, I was a little reluctant to transition to another
distribution. I had been a mainstay of SuSE since release 7.0; mainly
because of the security oriented nature of the product(s).

Now that I've made the plunge and am loving it; I want to provide my
services to the community where I can. Here goes my idea:

What about a documentation suite entitled --- Fedora Security Series?

Here's a brief vision statement.

The purpose of the series is to provide a security-related orientation
of a great multitude of topics and how they relate to the Fedora
distribution and its role in a network infrastructure.

For instance, the first couple topics that I would like to write would be:
- Risk Assessment of a Fedora Core Installation Scheme
- Risk Analysis of an Desktop Installation
- Risk Analysis of an Server Installation
- Policy Development in a Multiuser System
- etc......

As you can see, the topics are sequential in structure. Which alleviates
any issues due to end-user initiated problems.

i.e. in order to develop a complete operating system risk analysis and
determine a control solution(s); you must first perform the risk
assessment to determine probable threat agents, and safeguards

The intended audience would be Power-Users, and individuals with
Information Technology experience. However, with a good content model it
should be easily understood by the general user.

This series should be authored by individuals with relevant security
experience. They don't need to be CISSP certified; just have first hand
knowledge of the topic.

I am inclined to get the series started in the right direction; so I
would like to write the first few topics for a good base. Then it's up
to the community!

These should all be included in a series of related themes.

I can start the first topic as soon as the community accepts the idea. I
personally think this is great idea (of source I would!); but don't want
to work on this idea; if it undermines the ideas of other team members.

Thank you for your time.
Thomas Jones