Comments on Documentation Idea

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 00:02:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 19:28 -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> You don't need any approval from anyone - if it is something you are
> excited about, just go ahead and do it! :-) If turns out to be valuable to
> others, that will be self-evident when you publicize the results of your
> writing to the Fedora community.
>
> As far as continuing the project goes, I'm not sure how many people out
> there would be willing to do the work besides yourself (it's not just
> something you can drop on people's laps and expect them to keep
> maintaining). But don't let that stop you from taking on the challenge and
> seeing where things go - there's little downside :)

Charles Heselton (tuxxer) on this list has begun a "Fedora Hardening"
tutorial with which you might be inclined to assist.  He is working on
at least a couple documents, and may appreciate the help!  I think
having a team of security writers would be a great thing, provided the
work can be scoped to do the following:

(1) accommodate frequent maintenance based on Fedora Core's rapid
release schedule;

(2) be Fedora-specific enough to give value over some of the other more
standardized security guides; and

(3) survive contributor churn.

Regardless of whether you choose to work on the Fedora Hardening
document, why don't you choose one of the topics you list for a tutorial
(article format), and begin with a barebones draft.  That would be a
great way to introduce your vision for the series.  Once you're happy
enough with it to bring it on-list, just post a link for comments.

You will probably want to read the current Quick Start Guide:

  http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-quick-start/

There's a bit of dust while we make building improvements, but this
should help you get your feet wet.  (Pardon the mixed metaphor, I have
to go put the kids to bed!)  Thanks, and we're looking forward to your
participation.