Docs packaging

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Tue Aug 23 23:03:46 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag, den 23.08.2005, 17:56 -0400 schrieb Paul W. Frields:
> * Since docs are not absolutely necessary to run a system, Extras seems
> like the right place to me.

Hm, if there is a lack of documentation you can't use a lot of systems.
Obviously many people can use Fedora despite of a current lack of
documentation (as we see from FC1 to FC4  :-) ), nevertheless I would
vote to have the documentation in the core package (at least in the long
run).

Perhaps it is possibly to differ between several documents.

- User guide (if we would have it), yum guide, release notes, etc.
  part of core
- program related guides bundled with the program (e.g. Samba
  guide in the Samba devision), either in core of extra, depends
  on the programs location
- guides about broader, but special themes in extras (e.g.
  rpm packaging guide)

> Putting Fedora on a diet was discussed
> endlessly before and after FC4, so I'm not sure we can make a great case
> for getting docs into Core.

As long as we don't have localized docs the documentation doesn't need
so much space, I suppose.

>   Nor should we really bother -- Extras is
> not a second-class citizen or a myth,

It isn't indeed. But may be you need some kind of documentation before
you can use it (e.g. yum guide) or even know about it.

> * I would like the /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html file (which is part of
> fedora-release, and comes up when people launch Firefox) to show a SHORT
> and informative menu on how to:
>
>   * Read the release notes
>   * Install and update software, in particular Fedora docs
>     (i.e. "yum install fedora-docs\*" plus link to Stuart's yum doc)
>   * Access fedoraproject.org, especially the Wiki
>   * Get involved in Fedora (probably also through fp.org)

Very good idea in my opinion!

Peter