RFC - Moving to Fedora from Windows

Andrew Hudson webmanagement at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:05:28 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

Having read with a heavy heart the post from Greg concerning a newbie
experience with Fedora, I kinda figured that what we need is an
orientation document for new users (ie new to Linux) to pick up when
they come to Fedora.

Brief outline below:

Welcome to Fedora Core Linux
	Linux concepts (ie root etc)
First impressions
	Gnome - where do I find? Screensaver, desktop background etc
	Email - What's this Evolution thing? (potential to include
Thunderbird here because of availabilty on Windows)
	Internet - Finding the web
	Productivity - Finding OpenOffice.org, brief intro to each 			component
	IM - Where's AIM or Windows Messenger?
Moving Further
	Games - getting your Windows games working under Fedora
	Getting support for your graphics card/Installing appropriate 			drivers

This is just a starting point - feel free to shout down or include any
other areas that you feel would be genuinely advantageous for a newbie
to read about when they first boot into Fedora.

Thanks,

Andy