Screenshot Queries

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Jan 15 14:08:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 13:09 +0000, Stuart Ellis wrote:

> I've done a full batch of screenshots for the Installation Guide,
> and the masters are here:

> http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~hobb/fedora/screenshots/

The one I can see looks great. :)  The others are 403 forbidden. :(

> Two rather silly queries regarding these:

> 1) The Documentation Guide specifies a width but not a height.
>  What would be the best height to use ?

Generally, I'd say that if they are the correct width, the correct
height is already there.  Don't worry about it unless you have one that
is particularly tall.  In that case, consider reconfiguring the
screenshot.  None of that applies to Anaconda, since everything has the
right aspect ratio.

Might be different rule of thumb for PS/PDF, maybe four inches for
letter size, you can calc the cm for A4 yourself :).

> 2) There are a lot of images, which means that organising them is a
> problem in itself.  Is there a naming convention that I should use >
for the files ?

It appears you have them named in terms of the order they appear, with
some nesting, and the name/nature of the screen.  That seems about as
sane a method as I can think of.

I've seen them dropped into unique folders, one folder for every section
of the install.  This helps if you have a guide that covers multiple
architectures and might have different screenshots for the same part of
Anaconda.  I don't think this applies for FC.

> FWIW, these were captured using VMWare.  I found that many of the
> required images couldn't be captured with anaconda's
> --auto-screenshot because they were either text mode, or were
> dialog boxes.

Cool, I'm glad you have VMWare available.  For FC4, I'll help you look
into Anaconda's screenshooter.  If it is inadequate for the task, we'll
file some feature requests. :)

cheers - Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Sr. Tech Writer