f.r.c organization

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 21:53:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 12:58 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> Currently we are all over the place.  Here are some variations:
>
> docs/release-notes/fc4/ru/
> docs/selinux-faq-fc3/
> docs/fedora-install-guide-en/
>
> I tend to like directories to sort things, but that could get crazy.
> Does this have a natural stopping point (bottom level) that is sane
> enough?  This is as deep as we need, I think:
>
>   docs/fc4/selinux-faq/en/
>
> What I see Paul is suggesting:
>
>   docs/fc4/selinux-faq-en/
>
> Timothy Murphy said:
>
> > I would have put the OS split (fc2, fc3, etc) before the subject
> > split, since most people will only be interested in documentation
> > for a given distribution.
>
> That's a good point worth considering.
>
> Are people looking for documents:
>
> a) First by version, then by subject?
> b) First by subject, then by version?
>
> I'm not sure what I _think_ is true.  Personally, I tend to look by
> subject, then by version.  There is often not what I need in my
> particular version, so I am looking for 'close enough.'

Reiterating what Elliot said, I'm not sure it matters much; I'm only
concerned about what makes sense for our publishing routine, and what
will be of the greatest value for later automation (to whatever extent
is possible).  Sorry I didn't give a better example when I did the OP,
but the idea of "docs/some-tutorial-en/fc4/" seems best to me, since it
might enable more of the build to be pasted over from Docs CVS en masse.