Some thoughts on the yum tutorial

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:49:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 22:34 +0900, Yoshihiro Totaka wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:

> >>I always replace the repositories given in the default entries
> >>by local repositories (I mean in Ireland, in my case).
> >>I don't know if that is standard practice.
> >

> > It's not, since the default entries are to mirror lists and not single
> > sites.  Your package requests go to a random mirror entry, meaning
> > there's a basic and large-scale load balancing that happens without you
> > having to do anything.  What happens otherwise if your local repo is
> > down?
> >

> There is a country mirror list and simply adding country code to default
> mirror list works. I am living in Japan and using default mirror list is
> unbearably slow. So I am using following following mirror lists.
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever.jp
> Mentioning of these country mirror list would be nice.
> (I am not saying everyone should use it.)

This is not a bad idea, but I notice that in quite a few cases, the
country-specific mirrors are only one server.  Since intracontinental
bandwidth is generally good (right?), this may not be strictly
necessary.  Of course, if you don't use it at all, chances are pretty
good that quite a bit of EMEA traffic will end up coming to the US.  My
understanding is that's still undesirable.  Anybody know differently?

For what it's worth, I usually add the .us.east to the end of mine, as
well.  Perhaps it's worth filing a bug against firstboot to see if the
developers can incorporate a way to feed the country mirror list to the
user for selection?