Self-Introduction: Arun Mallikarjunan

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jun 3 19:32:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:59 -0400, Arun Mallikarjunan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>             I joined the list a few days back and was confused as to
> how to start when I saw Patricks email. So here goes.

This also might help you:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/NewWriters

I'll see about adding that link to the information sent with the mailing
list subscription.

>             I would like to contribute to the Linux community anyway
> possible. I felt the best way to start would be by learning it and
> understanding the concept better and what’s better than writing the
> documentation to learn it.

Yes, I agree, I think this is a great way to get involved and
contribute.

>             I would be glad if somebody can act as a mentor and guide
> me through the open source process as I am not too familiar with it,
> and point me in a direction where I can start leveraging my skills
> which by the way are J2EE, C and C++. I am working as a project lead
> for NGB in Washington DC.

We don't have a formal mentoring arrangement, but it is not a bad idea.

As the least, when you have a document to work on (by picking one or
suggesting one), your editor can help with this mentoring.

Otherwise, this mailing list is not a bad place to ask open source
process questions.  We might even want to write up a general "how to
contribute to Fedora" tutorial.  :)

> Looking forward to be a part of the team.

Welcome!

Is there anything you are interested in writing about?  There is no
topic too small for Fedora documentation.

You might also be interested in working on the release notes project:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/ReleaseNotes/Beats

One suggestion I have to start is to not use HTML in your email.  It is
not well received on Fedora mailing lists.  This is explained fairly
well in this article:

Cheers - Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide