HCL Considered Harmfull [Re: Fedora HCL guide writers?]

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Sun Jun 5 17:58:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 11:55 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:50:49 -0700 Chidananda Jayakeerti
> <ajchida at gmail.com> wrote:

I do not think that having an HCL will be a good idea for Fedora.

<snip>

> Fedora now includes an Installation Guide and Release Notes that
> describe the minimal hardware configuration, in generic terms.

I definitely agree with Tommy that attempting a HCL would be a bad idea.
Thinking about it, perhaps the problem itself has changed over the years
too - these days the install process will probably complete on any
common Intel-compatible hardware, so the question is no longer "can I
install Linux on this machine ?", but "will I need to carry out extra
steps afterwards to get some functions to work ?"

I also agree that getting specific information on particular makes and
models is best done by Googling.  Perhaps we can usefully make some
general statements in the Release Notes, though ?   For example, when I
install Fedora on a laptop it's almost a certainty that neither the
modem nor the wireless card will work, and ACPI is unlikely as well, but
our existing documentation doesn't really acknowledge this, or provide
positive guidance as to how to go about finding solutions.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA