FC4 feature list?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sun Jun 12 16:14:31 UTC 2005

Tony Nelson wrote:

>Rahul -- should I keep CC'ing the moderated fedora-docs-list?  My last
>reply is held up for moderation and I haven't received approval or
>disapproval yet.  Well, likely this is the last reply anyway.

Thats because its a weekend. I can post this thread explicitly to the
docs list if it doesnt get moderated. No worries

>Well, good.  Now add it!  (I'm not trying to make you feel bad through
>criticism; I'm trying to clear up things that would (have) made the
>installation hard for me to do, in hopes of helping others.)

Yes. I understand that. People were working on the release notes till
the last minute literally. Its a big time drain time drain to collect
the information and present it as what you can see in the release notes.
Makes you want more people to actually read it eh!. Some of these could
be improved by changes in the process that is being done. We really need
more people to step up and share some of the tasks. The following links
contain more information about this if anyone is interested in this

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/ReleaseNotes/Process
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/ReleaseNotes/Beats

>>>!!  From the tone, I thought Gnome wouldn't work at all.
>>>

>>It might not.
>>

>Wouldn't this leave the user in a confusing state with no UI?  Unless they
>went to one of the hidden 6 terminals?

Not by default. The installer overrides the conflicting Ximian GNOME
packages and installs the ones that are integrated within the release.
If you choose to not use the Fedora packages and use the third party
ones you might be left with a non functional UI. Ximian packages are
just an example. This applies to any packages that result in a
conflict.  Unfortunately I dont think there is any silver bullet
solutions to this issue which is why this is being documented in the
first place.

>You're welcome.  I didn't test FC4 because I only started using Linux about
>3 weeks ago, and I'm pretty confused even using a stable release.

You should get used to the differences pretty soon. Maybe you will even
like at the end of the day !

>  That's
>why my comments mostly reflect things that a confused user might have
>trouble with.  Maybe I'll be up to testing FC5

New users are probably the best people to write and review such type of
documentation.  They have a fresh insight into this  and would have to
revise their own notes into tutorial and short guides  for their peers.
For the veterans, being too close to the development has a disadvantage
of missing out some of "obvious" things

regards
Rahul