[ANN] docs-common/Makefile.common

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 11:49:30 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 18:16 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 10:54 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>

> > By the way, the XSL has been fixed to embed the legalnotice in the
> > nochunks version rather than creating an outboard file.  While someone
> > shipping a document without images or CSS doesn't "break" the document
> > per se, if it goes without the legalnotice intact, that could be
> > considered an actual problem.
>
> I'll have to get this into the example-tutorial (perhaps a no-chunks
> version?), but the legalnotice appearing at the top of a no-chunks is
> why I created all the weirdness around how the legalnotice is used.
>
> legalnotice-en.xml calls in legalnotice-content-en.xml
>
> If you use the standard legalnotice-en.xml and no-chunks, the entire
> notice is displayed at the very top of the document above the table of
> contents.

Hmm, I tested the nochunking on my system before I made any XSL changes,
and the legal notice still built as an added file in ./${DOCNAME} .  Can
you explain how the system is supposed to work for XSL(T) idiots so that
I can understand where I went wrong?  Sorry if I've goofed this up; here
are the revisions in case someone wants to see what regression I caused.

html-common.xsl: 1.8 -> 1.9
main-html.xsl: 1.4 -> 1.5
main-html-nochunks: 1.1 -> 1.2

On my local copy of the repository, I reverted these XSL files, to see
if I could reproduce the behavior.  Using the current
docs-common/Makefile.common, 'make html-nochunks' indeed breaks the
legalnotice off to a separate file.  With my changes of yesterday
restored, it works correctly, embedding the legalnotice in the
$DOCNAME.html file.

Any guidance would be appreciated, especially if it helps me understand
this XSL stuff better.