Wiki and first usage - relnotes for FC4test?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Mar 12 16:09:42 UTC 2005

We have discussed in the past using a Wiki for Fedora docs needs, and
suddenly finding a desperate need for one, I filled out some pages and
started a Wiki page for release notes for FC4test1.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraDocs_2fRelNotes_2fCore4Test1RelNotes

There is now a page about this project and a canonical page of Wiki
docs:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraDocsProject
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraDocs

In anticipation, I have made up my own Q&A:

Why?

It hasn't been otherwise done and it needs to get done, but there isn't
time to gather notes in bugzilla and make a pretty DocBook page.

What release notes are shipping in FC4test1?

AIUI, not much.  Probably just a copy of the FC3 relnotes.  Essentially,
anything we can gather on a Wiki page will be useful for the short-term.

Should we continue to do the relnotes in a Wiki?

I don't know.  We'll have to watch this experiment and see how it works
out.

What do we need to get this relnotes ready now?

Developers to contribute whatever they can think of that needs to be in
a release notes.  A group of us to watch those contributions, edit them,
and add in whatever else we can.

This also lets us test the idea of gathering information from developers
via Wiki, and seeing if we can convert it to DocBook without too much
pain.

The older method of using bugzilla submissions was hard enough when all
the developers were paid to do documentation.  Community developers need
to be able to work in a way that is comfortable to them, or we won't get
many docs out of them.  Just MHO, but ...

How does a editor/writer get involved?

Create an account at fedoraprojects.org and contact a person in the
editing group (e.g., me) to get you added for editing permissions.  I
decided to *not* do a separate docs editors, figuring having
writers/editors with full permissions to edit the Wiki is a Good Thing.

When you setup your preferences page, you need to mark the relnotes page
as a watched (subscribed) page, aiui.

Tell me what you think.

- Karsten
              Learn, Network and Experience Open Source.
Red Hat Summit, New Orleans 2005   http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/