Status of Fedora docs

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Mar 12 16:27:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 12:30 -0800, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Oops, I misspoke here.  John is not doing Fedora
> > release notes.  FC
> > relnotes are entirely a community affair at this
> > point.
> >

> I am not sure how you call release notes written by
> internal developers themselves a community affair

Actually, I think the FDP should be accountable for the release notes,
and developers responsible for populating them with facts.  This is just
my idea.

Regardless, the first community I am referring to is this one, the docs
project, and then the developers.  With a Wiki, anyone can contribute.
If someone who is not a Red Hat developer has a fact for the Wiki, that
person should edit and include.

Rest of your comment doesn't have anything to do with me.  I'm currently
stymied by the internal/external barriers, albeit in different ways than
someone without CVS access. ;-D

> > Is there anyone interested in working on the
> > relnotes?  You get extra
> > exposure to developers, if you don't have enough
> > already :), learn lots
> > of interesting and esoteric stuff, and often more
> > know about a given
> > test, rc, or release than you thought possible.
>
> I am. I would prefer to work on it as a team. So It
> would be nice to have a few more interested volunteers
> to work with me on this

So far we have you, Stuart, and myself.  A few more would be a good
idea.  We can all watch the page and coordinate via IRC, or just fix it
and hope we don't step on each other's toes.

Keeping voice/style consistent is going to be a challenge, which I will
lay on my feet for starting this.  Perhaps we'll get more points for our
style guide out of this.

IIRC, we are using the GNOME style guide as a basis to work from.  For
language style, Elements of Style is our basis.

> My first proposal, therefore, is that
> > we use the Wiki to
> > create a release notes page for every test, rc, and
> > release, and
> > browbeat developers into contributing.
>
> Oh. I am pretty good at nagging people on technical
> stuff :-)

I've asked Elliot Lee to make the initial request on fedora-maintainers
and wherever else he feels its needed.

So, we have a day or so to fix the scheme I put together, which uses one
massive page.

FWIW, I'd prefer to tweak the scheme for the test2 notes, such as
considering Stuart's suggestion of separate pages.  This might be
difficult because of the way the Wiki namespace is constructed.  Let's
discuss. :)

- Karsten
              Learn, Network and Experience Open Source.
Red Hat Summit, New Orleans 2005   http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/