Some ideas

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 19:28:19 UTC 2005

Hey, thanks for the status info from everyone! From my perspective, there
are two main pieces of content that I'd like to suggest about focusing on:

	Release notes

You are already on top of this for test2 by the sound of it. :-) The wiki
seems like it will work for now until we can get CVS for y'all. We do need
to figure out a good way to get change notices from the developers. The
previous relnotes maintainer said one of his big frustrations was getting
developers to respond to a request for notes.

	Release announcements

The part where you get to have fun, be creative, and not work too hard.
The Fedora marketing people may have input here, and some coordination
with developers and mirror admins would be necessary. The way I imagine
this working is that you could maintain a template 'announcement'. About a
week before each release, you could start with the template fill in a few
highlights from the relnotes, start creating the list of mirrors, and
think up ideas for the "theme" of the announcement. The day before the
release, you'd fill in the final list of mirrors, and then post the
announcement on the day of the release.

These are two ongoing things that happen over and over at every release
point, and they really tie together as far as deadlines and content go.

This is not meant to take away from the install guide work at all - it can
still be worked on, and there's definitely a need for it. However, the
install guide is a lot of work, and I'd rather see you guys do well at a
few basic things than burn out not finishing a very big project. Once the
Fedora docs project has grown to have more infrastructure and more
contributors, you can add a focus on bigger projects like the install
guide.

One thing I did for the index.html page in FC4test1 was put in a link to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraDocsProject - hopefully that will help
you get more contributors.

These are just suggestions - you guys are the ones who are putting all the
hard work in, and that means you get the final say (e.g. if the install
guide is the only thing interesting to Stuart, it stands to reason that
he's going to keep working on it :-) It's really cool to see people active
in the docs project, and once docs CVS happens, hopefully you'll have
other ideas about infrastructure you need to make FDP successful.

Does this all make sense? Comments/questions welcome!
-- Elliot