PDF generation: xmlroff

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 19:54:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 11:13 +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:59:18AM +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 10:46:47AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> >
> > > However, aside from images, what other things would we need from an
> > > XSL-FO processor?  My thinking is that if "all" that's missing for us
> > > in xmlroff is the images rewrite, it might be quite a nice project to
> > > focus on.
> >
> > What about FOP (Java-based, from the Apache project)?  Does that work
> > with GCJ (I only tried it with Sun Java IIRC)?  It is far from complete,
> > but it more or less works.
>
> Other discussions on this list have talked about FOP, but I haven't
> seen any conclusions yet.

A quick update on this.

Tommy Reynolds patched xmlto to use FOP as a target.  Mark Johnson is
using this along with the package from jpackage.org in some tests over
the next few weeks.  Hopefully this will give us a clearer picture of
where FOP falls short.

> Just pointing out that FOP is not the only other usable XSL-FO
> processor out there.

Thanks, and definitely everyone keep your eyes open for other possible
solutions.  No matter what, we need a fully functional open source XSL-
FO processor solution ...

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide