research on using the GFDL

Thomas Jones admin at buddhalinux.com
Thu May 5 07:14:28 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Hi
>

>> The guide in itself is a mood point(although it probably is itself a
>> derivative of the accepted procedures and/or content from the FSF
>> representatives).
>>

> Emma is the only person actively maintaining the LDP authors guide and
> is not linked with FSF. In fact, the LDP manifesto doesnt specify
> modifiability of documents as a license requirement  and documents a
> broad range of non-free software and would likely fail to meet FSF
> criterias
>
> regards
> Rahul

OK .. I had meant the listing of LDP authors located at the following
address:
http://www.tldp.org/contrib.html

But that matters not. The original point was that the documents
currently being developed in the LDP project are highly
scrutenized(spelling?) for legal requirements. Thus my point that it may
be a good idea to utilize currently existing resources.

 From the LDP website:
To be accepted into The Linux Documentation Project the document has to
be licensed according to either GFDL, Creating Commons or TLDP
copyright, for more information please look at the licensing section
<http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/doc-licensing.html> of the
Author Guide.

 From section 6.2(licensing section
<http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/doc-licensing.html>) of LDP
Author Guide:
We recommend using the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL)
<http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html>, one of the Creative Commons
Licenses <http://www.creativecommons.org/license>, or the LDP license
(currently under review).

I don't claim to know the legal ramblings of such. In fact, I feel sorry
for Karsten ---  that little bit of content posted gave me a headache. ;)

All I know is they have representatives such as ESR reviewing the legal
aspects of the document structures being derived from the guide.

That's good enough for me.

If you know of some loophole because of the manifesto; you may want to
forward that to ESR or another representative of FSF. I am sure they'd
be interested to know of your findings.

Cheers,
Thomas