research on using the GFDL

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Thu May 5 08:16:37 UTC 2005

Hi

> I am not sure what you mean here. Isn't document authoring using the
> templates the topic at hand? So new documents are not authored
> according to the templates?

Not always. It can save the authors some work by using pre existing
templates but its not mandatory

> So you are saying that the staple linux documentation entity --- LDP
> ---- is improperly recommending use of the GFDL for documentation
> authored from their guides templates?

No. I am saying that the authors guide only recommends these licenses
and the LDP manifesto does not mandate them and hence authors can come
up with their own custom licenses and using the templates is not
required either. There is no technical reason LDP would reject any
custom licenses as long as it falls under the licensing  requirements
specified by the manifesto which is lax

> I never meant ESR authored the guides templates, simply that himself
> and/or others from FSF surely reviewed the derivative documentation of
> the guide as being in conformance.

I am not  aware of this.  Any further information regarding this would
be appreciated. If a guide has been determined to be in conformance with
any license, all subsequent revisions would have to reviewed to make
sure of this. I dont think that has happened in LDP

regards
Rahul